Home
The Parish of St.Ignatius of Loyola
History
Parish History | Our Patron | Church History | Parish Priests | Parish Curates | Vocations
Present
Pastoral Council | Parish Services | Parish Organisations | Church Tour | Other Religious Sites | Becoming a Catholic | This Week's Bulletin

When Fr. Mc Cay came to Wishaw in 1860 , there was no chapel or chapel house and Catholics of the district heard Mass in the little hall at the foot of Main St.
In 1861 a school Chapel, accommodating 500, was erected in Young St. and placed under the patronage of St. Ignatius of Loyola. The Catholic Poor School Committee gave a building grant of 100 while the Privy Council gave 2 6s. 8d. to purchase books for the day school; many local gentlemen also supported the new school financially. There were 190 scholars in attendance at this time.
Fr. Mc Cay laboured single handed till 1862 when the Rev. George, afterwards Canon Mc Brearty was appointed. He was now in a better position to provide for the future phenomenal development, which he foresaw at that early date. Canon Mc Brearty described the Mission on 31st August 1862 thus: "Till then, there was only one clergyman, Fr. later, Canon McCay to minister to the Wishaw mission ,which comprised the whole district from Overtown to Newmains, from Newmains to Carfin, from Carfin to Rumblingsykes, and from Rumblingsykes to Wishaw. There was only one building, the first school Chapel. There was no Church and no Presbytery, Fr. Mc Cay and myself living in a common tenement. In two years, a modest brick presbytery was erected beside the school which gave us accommodation but no more."
A school Chapel was built in Carfin in 1862 and attended from Wishaw.
The school Chapel in Young St. served as Church and school until 1865, when the present Church was opened. Canon Mc Brearty referred to his time in Wishaw as nine years of strenuous work, gathering building funds apart from the strictly spiritual labours, for which the extended area of the mission must have called.

The new school opened on the 10th August 1901, the local press gave the following very interesting description:

Next

Parish History | Our Patron | Church History | Parish Priests | Parish Curates | Vocations | Pastoral Council | Parish Services |Parish Organisations | Church Tour | Other Religious Sites | Becoming a Catholic | This Week's Bulletin

Home