The Parish of St.Ignatius of Loyola
History
Parish History | Our Patron | Church History | Parish Priests | Parish Curates | Vocations | Primary School
Present
Pastoral Council | Parish Services | Parish Organisations | Church Tour | Other Religious Sites | Becoming a Catholic | This Week's Bulletin

Canon McGovern

Born in Rutherglen, Canon Mc Govern, like many others of that day, spent his high school years at Our Lady ' s High in Motherwell. Ordained on May 31st 1947, he took up his first post as a curate in St. John Bosco, New Stevenson. Then on to St. Monica ' s, Coatbridge from 1954 - 1962, then Corpus Christi, Calderbank from 1962 - 1969. He returned to Coatbridge in 1969 to St. Bartholomew 's, Townhead 1969 where he served until his transfer to Moodiesburn in 1984.

He was a contemporary of the late Thomas Cardinal Winning and apparently knew Shieldmuir quite well from his frequent visits to the Winning home. His photo taken at his Golden Jubilee shows how he merited the nickname of "Smiler" given to him by his classmates.

Canon Mc Govern succeeded Monsignor O ' Donnell in 1984 when the Monsignor became too ill to continue. He had a previous connection with St. Ignatius Parish however : he acted as Assistant to Bishop Scanlon when the Bishop attended St. Ignatius ' Centenary as a Parish in 1959 -also in attendance in Wishaw that day as Assistant Priest was Monsignor O ' Donnell. He was always attentive to the sick and visited them regularly during his time in St. Ignatius - probably from having a history of heart trouble of his own before he came here. His prescription for good health was a cold shower in the morning and a large number of pints - ( of fresh water!) every day. After celebrating his Golden Jubilee in the priesthood in 1997, he retired in July 1998 to a well earned rest with Fr. Gerry Maguiness administering the Parish until Monsignor Conway took over in Nov. 1998.

Go back to Parish Priests